Makes two bears.
1/2 Cup milk
3 Tablespoons sugar
2 1/2 teaspoons salt
3 Tablespoons butter
1 package (2 1/4 teaspoons) active dry yeast
1 1/2 cups warm water (105-110 degrees)
3 cups unsifted all-purpose flour
3 to 4 cups additional flour
1 egg mixed with 1 Tablespoon water
- Scald milk. Stir in sugar, salt, and butter. Cool to lukewarm.
- Dissolve yeast in 1 1/2 cups warm water.
- Add milk mixture and 3 cups unsifted flour. Stir until smooth.
- Mix in enough additional flour to make a stiff dough – 3 to 4 cups.
- Knead 8-10 minutes on a floured board. Place in buttered bowl. Butter top of dough. Cover.
- Let rise until doubled – about an hour. Punch down.
- Divide dough into four equal parts.
- Leave two pieces whole. Cut one piece in half. Cut another piece into 14 pieces. Shape all into balls.
- Place two largest balls onto greased baking sheet for bodies.
- Place next two largest balls above the bodies to make the heads. Flatten slightly.
- Attach 7 small balls to each bear for paws, noses and ears.
- Cover. Let rise again until doubled.
- Make indentations in ears. Place raisins for eyes and belly buttons. Brush bears with the egg mixed with 1 Tablespoon water.
- Bake at 375 degrees for 25-30 minutes. Halfway through baking time, rotate top to bottom, front to bake. You might want to add a little more eggwash around the neck as it rises in the oven.
- Cool. 🙂 Slather with deliciousness and eat while growling.