In IMPULSE CONTROL, Book One of the Men of the Zodiac Series (Aries), Susannah challenges Wild Man Russ to cook a simple date night meal. When I was dreaming up the scene, I wanted it to be something easy and doable…with a twist, a manly-man meal with gourmet appeal. I decided on Grilled Steak and Asparagus with Loaded Baked Potato Salad and Balsamic Vinaigrette. Grilling asparagus is simple:
- Get the grill medium-hot.
- Cut the ends off the asparagus. Some chefs say you should snap it off where it wants to snap, but I usually look at it to determine how much of it looks tender and how much of it looks like I will chew and chew and never be able to swallow the tough fibers. Then I cut it off at the tender demarcation line.
- Put a little oil, salt and pepper on the asparagus.
- Lay it on the grill in such a way that it won’t fall through the grates (will vary from grill to grill).
- Grill for about 7 minutes, moving it around every so often so it doesn’t burn. Pull it off when it is tender and fragrant, but not charred.
- Feed to your partner with your fingers. Or use a fork. Your call!